Sunday 18 March 2012

Pathway and Previous Projects

Prior to my FMP, I completed three projects where makeup and styling was the final outcome. I have an interest in all areas of makeup i.e. fashion, film and TV, and want to be skilled in each of these areas to keep my options open.
Within my three projects I experimented in conceptual fashion makeup, and character makeup.

Here are images from my first project where I had to create a design based on the theme of "ordinary/extraodinary" and I took a high fashion approach:



I was extremely happy with the results of this shoot. I am interested in high fashion makeup because it can allow you to be highly conceptual, artistic and experimental. I am inspired by fashion makeup that pushes the boundaries and explores different looks. I am inspired by the type of makeup you see in magazines such as i-D and Dazed and Confused and makeup looks from companies such as M.A.C and Illamasqua. I would like to experiment a lot more in high fashion makeup and stretch my design and technical skills. I would like to extend my fashion makeup portfolio with very innovative designs.

Here is my final piece from my second project where I also took a conceptual fashion approach and took inspiration from and article based on the cuts to education:


For this project I didn't apply actual makeup because I had a small budget but I projected the makeup design onto the model's face. I also used a blue wig. I think the result is really interesting, innovative and modern. I love being experimental and I think high fashion makeup allows me to do this. I want to experiment with more innovative ways of creating a makeup look to stretch my creative ability. I also found that when choosing unusual sources of inspiration, I generate really interesting designs.  

Here is one of the shots I took in my third project of a character I created for a game show:


I really enjoyed this project as I had to think about the character's persona and how I wanted to portray him and how I would integrate this into the design. I found that this project allowed me to be very creative and I found that having a character to portray really helped me with designing. I researched a lot of makeup methods and tried out a lot of new skills for this project so my technical ability really improved. I am fascinated by the technical skill in TV and film makeup. However, I do think it can limit your creativity as opposed to high fashion makeup as you have to fit the design to the character and what the writer/director wants. I would still like to improve my skill and technical ability in this area.

For my FMP I would like to take a High fashion approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment