Thursday 12 April 2012

Street Style Watching

My statement of intent says I intended to visit key fashion destinations in London and take note of the street style in these areas. The places I visited included Oxford Street, Brick Lane, Camden, and Covent Garden. I planned to take photos of outfit ensembles that I liked which I could look back at as reference later. However, when I tried this I found that it was difficult to discreetly take pictures of the outfits I liked while everyone was moving so quickly and I was walking past at the same time. Instead I observed and took note of what I saw. I am also using other resources such as exhibition visits and magazines to research street style so I think this is a sufficient amount of research.  

The fashionable youth street style in Britain today is very eccentric, edgy and eclectic. The creative indie "hipster" look is very fashionable. Outfits are often assembled using contrasting and contradictory items of clothing and accessories creating an ironic yet striking look. They are usually a mix of different influences such as retro and ethnic influences. There is an abundance of variety in British street style with people expressing their own unique tastes. Fashion and street style plays a vital role in youth culture and creating an identity. However, most modern fashionable styles all share the same edgy, eclectic aesthetic. Doc Martens are a very popular item of clothing found in street style. The street style I observed on Oxford Street and in Covent Garden had the most variety I thought. They seemed a lot more fashion conscious than the other two locations with many people sporting styles of the sort promoted by shops like Topshop and River Island. The street style in Brick Lane was a little more laid back although highly creative and individual. There were a lot of apparent retro and vintage influences around. Camden sported a mixture of different street styles. What gives Camden its character is its influence of subculture styles like hardcore, goth and punk.

These are pictures I tried to take on Oxford Street:



Taking inspiration from current British street style, my outfit ensembles for my fashion shoot are going to be an eclectic mix of different items and influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment