Thursday 12 April 2012

Matthew Barney and The Cremaster Cycle

In my statement of intent I stated that I would research the artist Matthew Barney (below, made up as the Apprentice from Cremaster 3). Barney is famous for creating The Cremaster Cycle, a series of five avant-garde art films which he made between 1994 and 2002. The cremaster is a muscle that raises and lowers the testicles according to external stimuli. The films are a metaphor for the onset of male gender and the formation o sexual definition. The films are also a metaphor fot the creative process of the artist. I focused predominantly on The Cremaster Cycle for my research, watching all five films and taking note of the striking visuals which I will use to inspire my work.



Research Analysis:

Matthew Barney is very deliberate about his work. Everything occurs for a reason and represents something particular the artist is trying to convey. He puts a lot of emphasis on symbolism. A known example is the tartan fabric specifically woven for Barney's character, the Apprentice from Cremaster 3, includes the colours blue, red and apricot to symbolise veins, arteries and skin. Barney says of his work "I have a pretty specific way that I put these things together". I like this idea of symbolism used in art. For my own project I want to focus on what I am trying to symbolise and how. I am going to take inspiration from Barney's attention to detail and everything I do will have a meaning.
Matthew Barney's films are very controlled. The imagery is very specific and every shot is thoroughly thought out. You can tell a lot of planning goes into designing the scenery, costume and makeup. The imagery is very neat and defined. I do like the intricate details of Barney's work but it bothers me that there is no spontaneity which in my opinion makes his work lack energy and spirit. With my own work I want to focus on the intricacy of the piece but also be experimental and spontaneous.

The Cremaster Cycle presents a lot of complex symbolism and is hard to comprehend on first watch. I visited this site which offers a detailed analysis and explanation of each film and its symbolism to help me understand the imagery being used: http://www.cremasterfanatic.com/Synopsis.html

Below are links to watch the films:

Cremaster 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9tM8dcyuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwCt1TG35v4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7AlPZ0Qnns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA86ryTFRRw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwD8kc98gwU

Cremaster 1 Synopsis: Cremaster 1 represents the state of total ascension of the cremaster muscle and sexual indifferentiation. It also represents an artist's spark of an idea.

Cremaster 1 Analysis: In Cremaster 1, the dancers wear huge oversized hoop skirts with many tiers which are very striking. For a photo shoot the outfit does not have to be practical which allows me to play with size and shape. Oversized features will make a big statement and will look bold on camera. The skirts were in a pastel pink with a bright orange underlining. I love contrast in colours and think it adds edge to a look which is what I am aiming for. There was use of very vivid and bold colours and imagery. I want to include this aesthetic in my own photo shoot. The dancers also wear plastic white turbans which resemble the character Good Year's hairstyle. Good Year wears a platinum blonde wig in a curly high bun with perfectly styled elaborate swirls and waves which incorporates bells into the style. The hair style is very architectural. I have not practised hairstyling extensively in previous shoots. For this shoot I want to develop this skill. I would like to experiment in an avant-garde architectural style like Good Year's hair. I will try and be very innovative with the hairstyles. Good year also wears clear plastic heels. I like the look of clear plastic. The women in the blimp have porcelain skin, dark red lips and highly defined brows. This creates a defined look which I like. I want to create defined feautures with makeup so the models have a big impact. Barney colour coordinates Good Year's outfit with the inside of the blimp with both all in white. Although I liked the colour contrast of the dancers I think this use of monochrome is also very striking. A lot of props are used in the film such as the blimps and the table holding the perfectly placed grapes. If I have enough time I would like to experiment with making my own props and creating my own scenery. Lots of symbols appear in the film. One particular symbol - the main motif of all 5 films, a pattern which resembles a reproductive process appears multiple times in different scenes. The sports field bears this emblem, the dancers arrange themselves to form this pattern, and Good Year arranges grapes to make this pattern. I like the idea of using symbolism in my work to express my ideas.



Cremaster 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rD4y7ZltY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QkbPp_u5o4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wlrm7L5A4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDZjfCedhA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip10CmdxGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wur6JmtF2yQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kE2L32b2Os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWY-YRhjzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAbkwRhJqg

Cremaster 2 Synopsis: Cremaster 2 represents the next first stirrings of gender indifference and conflict between the sexes. It also represents the artist rejecting the idea. Cremaster 2 is also loosely based on the story of Gary Gilmore who was sentenced to death in America for killing two men in Utah.

Cremaster 2 Analysis: There was a close up image in this film of a saddle whose surface was covered entirely in square mirrors stuck together to make a mosaic. I had this idea to incorporate broken mirrors or glass, or something that resembles this effect, into the "cancer outfit" to symbolise the patients' "shattering experiences". The angle at which the saddle is shot also resembles a woman's open legs. Cremaster 2 also includes a lot of symbolism. There are several symbols/patterns representing reproductive organs/processes. For example, the motion of the table in the seance scene mimics sexual intercourse. One of the characters wears a clear plastic corset in one scene. Like Good Year's shoes, I love the look of clear plastic. One character who is a metaphor for a Queen Bee, wears an elaborate avant-garde outfit towards the end of the film, all in black. The look is very majestic and powerful. I want my own looks that I create to also be in this avant-garde style and have the same powerful effect. The use of all black is very effective. I want to experiment with colour creating the mood of a look.  


 

Cremaster 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Hl7hQBtzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txj8w2bxius

Cremaster 3 Synopsis: The main themes of Cremaster 3 are narcissisum and hubris. It also symbolises the artist falling in love with the idea.

Cremaster 3 Analysis: Again, Barney uses bright, vivid imagery in Cremaster 3, like the clear blue sky and green grass at the beginning. I too want to use bright vivid colours in my shoot for a strong impact. I found large portions of the previous films to be very slow paced which were visually non-stimulating and inhibited my interest. I thought Cremaster 3 still had slow paced sections like the scenes where the cars rammed into each other, although I thought there was more action where the film livened up like the scene at the end in the Guggenheim museum. Although I am not making a film, I want my shoot to instantly grab the viewer's attention and hold their interest and feel dynamic. Cremaster 3 features a lot of sinister and dark imagery such as the corpse rising from the ground, dirty and bloody, and the fleshy horses in the race. Although I am exploring distressing themes I want the final images to be brighter and uplifting although I am not afraid to explore and incorporate darker sides. Barney is very particular again with his angles and shots and includes more symmetrical shots again. Most of the women he includes in his films are attractive, slim, and are in elaborate, bold, eccentric dress and are well styled, like the woman cutting potato wedges with her heel and the dancing girls at the end of this film. This film also features a lot of odd imagery I want my own looks to be eccentric. I want them to be artistic and push the boundaries of what is conventionally beautiful. I want my photo shoots to be highly stylised although I want to include some spontaneity. The films feature very odd and surreal imagery like the Apprentice who has genitalia that resemble a sea anemone. There is also a lot of bloody imagery like the Apprentice getting his teeth smashed in. Although I do not think I will go as bizarre as Barney does with his work, I still want my photo shoots to be thought provoking. Barney uses a variety of different and conflicting imagery with modern and old influences ranging from 1930s New York to the hardcore concert in the Guggenheim. One character that really caught my eye was the pink leopard girl in the Guggenheim building. The makeup was very vibrant and creative. Prosthetics were used to make her face look more like a leopard although she was still attractive. I want to be very creative and experimental with the makeup for my shoot. I may explore the use of prosthetics to transform a face but still keep the appearance of a fashion image.















Cremaster 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VpXpMJzPVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfhTIQxsME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePRCo6H9iY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCULHH-E9lM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xB34xf8i5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99FCSRlyNJg

Cremaster 4 Synopsis: Cremaster 4 deals with the organism's desire to return to a state of neutral gender as its male identity is formed. It also represents the artist's panic at the knowledge that the idea is about to come into fruition.

Cremaster 4 Analysis: Cremaster 4 still includes more bright, vivid imagery like the blue and yellow race cars. There is more use of prosthetics like the ones used to create the Loughton Ram character. This character also has shocking red/orange hair which really appeals to me. I think brightly coloured hair makes a huge statement and is very on trend right now which relates to my project as I am creating a fashion image. The 3 Loughton Faeries that accompany The Loughton Ram have their hair styled in large buns that are a perfect sphere. The style is very architectural. I said previously I want to take inspiration from this architectural style. Barney uses striking colour contrasts. One I particularly liked was in the scene in which the Loughton Faeries are having a picnic on a bright yellow mat, wearing bright yellow dresses with shocking red hair and blue tartan accessories, set against a backdrop of a vibrant blue sky and green grass. Striking colour contrasts have a huge impact and work very well in a fashion image.




Cremaster 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1cDwdSRUI&feature=related

Cremaster 5 Synopsis: Cremaster 5 represents the moment when the testicles are finally released and sexual differentiation is attained. It also represents the final resolution of the creative idea. Cremaster 5 is a five act opera.

Cremaster 5 Analysis: The imagery again, was very surreal and abstract, like the doves at the beginning that disappear into holes in the floor of the opera house and then appear in the Gellert Baths on the other side. I was attracted to the costumes in this film, especially those of the Queen of Chain and her ushers who wore elaborate, over the top costumes, dramatic head pieces, and exaggerated neck pieces. The Queen wears a black Elizabethan ruff and her ushers wear matching ones in black and white. The ushers wear white ruffled headpieces and red headbands. The Queen wears a large black trailing dress with several bulky layers and a white underskirt. She wears a thin black veil which, when taken off, reveals a crown made of two linked transparent orbs on either side of her head. If I have enough time I would like to experiment with creating my own headpieces and accessories. I liked the theatrical grandeur of the costumes in this film. Although I am creating a fashion look and I want it to be modern and edgy, I still want to incorporate some theatricality into the image. Artists that I think encompass the two well are Lady Gaga, Gareth Pugh and Alexander McQueen. I could look at these people as further research to inspire my work.





















Research Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment